Saturday, July 3, 2010

Do you think virtual worlds are good for kids?

When I announced the date of public version of Chobots at the LinkedIn, I was asked if virtual worlds are good for kids?

My answer was immediate. This way I realized that this question was not new to me. As a father, I am not happy how gaming and TV influences kids, so I had all pros. and cons. considered before I decided to create a system for kids.

My answer was that I don't think it's smart to keep children away from TV, PC, Internet or real life. Instead, I believe that children have to learn how to use it right. And the sooner, the better.
And that's why I think Chobots is a unique system. I designed Chobots.com as a family game, where children and parents can play together. No, it's not possible at just one PC, but the system is not demanding to resources, because runs in the browser, so any second PC will work fine. Plus, you can play together with your child through Internet even if you are on the business trip or away from home.

Chobots is not about education, but it is about training the skills children will need in real life, such as team work, logic, communication and others. The system does not have any violence, but it has a lot of action that boys and girls will like.
And of course, safety is one of the most important things for me. I am disappointed about the fact, how many resources should be spent on safety, instead of new features, because there are so many psycho-predators around. But in addition to standard technological safety features, we will invest a lot in live moderation, so freaks will be kicked out immediately.

So my answer is YES! Chobots Virtual World is good for kids. You are welcome to become a Chobots Family in October.

No comments:

Post a Comment